Choosing a Hospital for Maternity Care
One of the most crucial decisions in the pregnancy journey is choosing where to deliver. By and large all hospitals offering maternity care in Singapore are safe and provide amenities for a pleasant childbirth experience. However, each hospital has its strengths and it is helpful to research before zeroing in on your chosen one.
Some of the obvious determinants are location, pricing, amenities and services including birthing options, breastfeeding support and postnatal care. Another reason could be availability of emergency services, especially where it is a high-risk pregnancy warranted due to the mother’s health conditions.
Here is a list of top maternity care hospitals (Private) in Singapore:
- Thomson Medical Centre (TMC) – TMC boasts of an unparalleled track record of excellent maternity healthcare services with a wide range of birthing choices including Water Birth as well as excellent pain management techniques. The hospital extends great post natal support to the moms including specialized confinement food. Read the Parents World review on TMC here.
- Gleneagles Hospital (GEH) -Located at Napier Road, the hospital offers one & two room maternity packages plus luxurious delivery suites. Restaurant style confinement food, and excellent breastfeeding support from lactation specialists with parentcraft classes add to the charm of the hospital.
- Mount Alvernia Hospital (MAH)– With some of the top OB-GYN doctors in any private hospital in Singapore, excellent staff and exclusive maternity services, the hospital assures of world class care.The hospital offers delivery packages with a choice of luxurious family suites to 2 bedded rooms.
- Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Novena – Swanky and comfortable, the hospital offers 30 single bedroom to discerning mums. With modern amenities and high emphasis on security features, the hospital is a popular choice with expectant parents. Delivery packages start from $4083.
- Parkway East Hospital – One of the most affordable maternity care hospitals in the East, it offers a cozy environment and excellent care for the mum and newborn. Room rates start at $255 for a 4-bedded room to $768 for a Deluxe Maternity room.
- Raffles Hospital – With exclusive TCM services, parentcraft lessons, excellent amenities and a convenient location; Raffles Hospital promises great maternity care with peace of mind. The hospital offers customized delivery packages with an option of a single bedded or double bedded room.
Some mothers would prefer public hospitals due to their affordability and availability of emergency care in case of birth complications.
Following are the top choices of Public Hospitals for Maternity Care in Singapore:
- KK WOMEN’S AND CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL (KKH)-KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital (KKH) is the largest and leading maternity hospital in Singapore and also home to the largest Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) in Southeast Asia. The hospital also runs an urgent 24-hour walk-in O&G Centre for any emergent conditions. The hospital caters to both private and subsidized patients, offering a wide range of maternity rooms.
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL (NUH) – NUH specializes in handling high-risk pregnancies with the best team of Obstetrics & Gynecology specialists. The hospital provides a suite of services including Antenatal and Parentcraft Programmes and Pediatric screening packages. The hospital also offers rooms to both private and subsidized patients.
- SINGAPORE GENERAL HOSPITAL (SGH)– SGH offers a comprehensive range of maternity services including antenatal care, Down syndrome screening, specialised ultrasound scans, delivery and breastfeeding support. It also receives most referrals for high-risk and complicated pregnancies, making it the first choice for expectant moms with underlying conditions. It also is popular for its delicious gourmet confinement food and lactation services.
Choose a hospital that can cater to your specific delivery and postnatal needs early in your pregnancy to protect from last minute anxiety.
Also read which products and services got Parents World’s vote of confidence for this year’s Best of the Best Pregnancy Awards.