The yummy nut boost brain function, memory and concentration in kids. What’s there not to love?
Intelligence and sharpness could be your child’s birthright with a regular dose of almonds in his diet. We show you why almonds pack a brainy punch and how to include these dry legumes into your child’s diet in a delicious way.
Rich in antioxidants
Almonds possess the trifecta of vitamins A, C and E in them, nutrients that contribute to proper brain development, slows down brain cell degeneration and ensuring that the network of neurons are well-connected and firing live.
Bursting with Omega-3 Fatty acids
Who says fats aren’t good for you? This magic ingredient definitely is as it helps boost brain and cognitive development in your child. Studies show that children who are fed foots rich in omega-3 fatty acid show massive improvements in intelligence test scores than those who don’t.
This little chemical or amino acid in almonds work well in maintaining neurological function. It helps form neurotransmitters that improves mental alertness and and memory functions. Claims have been made that it actually help children with ADHD remain calmer but concrete evidence are yet to surface.
Ditch the Oreos and give your child the chance to develop their tastebuds apart from those store bought sugar poisons. Whether dipped in milk or eaten on it’s own, the Almond Biscotti is a divine treat with crunchy effect perfect for a midday snack
1 cup blanched slivered almonds
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spread almonds on a baking sheet.
- Toast almonds in the preheated oven until lightly browned and fragrant, 8 to 10 minutes. Allow almonds to cool.
- Reduce oven heat to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Lightly beat eggs, vanilla extract, and almond extract in a bowl. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in another bowl. Gradually beat egg mixture into flour mixture with an electric mixer until dough comes together. Add toasted almonds and mix until just incorporated.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface and shape dough into a 3×14-inch log. Transfer log to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until firm to the touch, 30 to 40 minutes. Allow log to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Transfer log to a cutting board and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices, using a serrated knife. Return biscotti slices to baking sheet, cut-side up.
- Return biscotti to the oven and bake until biscotti are firm to the touch, about 20 minutes. Flip each cookie and continue baking until toasted, about 20 minutes more. Cool biscotti completely before storing in an airtight container.
Original recipe can be found at http://allrecipes.com/recipe/crunchy-almond-biscotti/.