An apple a day may not keep the doctor away, but a good breakfast will surely help! These recipes may even save you cash on the doctors bills by filling your kids with the energy they need to start their days.
Feeding your kids a healthy, nutritious breakfast is one of the most important things you can do every day as a parent. Try combining complex carbohydrates with proteins to boost their metabolism and give them enough energy to burn. Here are 6 breakfast recipes packed with healthy goodness your kids are sure to love!
Egg in a Hole
A classic breakfast dish that provides protein in the egg and should be completed with whole-wheat bread for maximum nutrition.
- 1 slice bread whole-wheat bread
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- Cut a hole in the centre of your slice of bread.
- Heat a skillet to medium-low heat and melt the butter in the pan. When the butter is spread around place the bread in the skillet and crack the egg in the centre of the hole.
- Once the egg sets on the bottom and the bread slightly browns (about a minute) use a spatula to flip it.
- Move the bread around the pan to soak up any butter and cook to a desired yolk consistency.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
A fun way to eat fruit and get protein through yogurt that’s good for breakfast or a snack any time of day.
- Fruit, thinly sliced
- Granola (optional)
- Popsicle mold
- Slice fruit to desired size. Any fruits work but berries and tropical fruits work particularly well, such as kiwi, strawberry, blueberry, mango, or peach.
- Add a little yogurt to a popsicle mould then slide fruit down the sides before adding more yogurt and filling the mould completely. Alternatively you can cut fruits beforehand and mix with yogurt before pouring into moulds at the same time.
- Freeze for several hours then unmold and serve with granola to dip if desired.
English muffin egg sandwich
Easy to make and full of a variety of nutrients.
- Whole wheat english muffin
- 1 egg
- 1 slice cheese
- 2 slices tomato (optional)
- 1 piece bacon (optional)
- Crack egg into round egg mould and cook on skillet to desired yolk consistency. Other alternatives for cooking the egg include whipping and making an omelette, scrambling, or cooking in the microwave inside a ramekin.
- If using bacon, cook until browned and crispy, dry on a paper towel.
- Toast english muffin, place tomato slices and cheese on half the muffin, place the egg and bacon on top and lastly close the sandwich with the other muffin half. Add dill, chives, salt and pepper to taste.
Banana and Almond Butter Pancakes
Jam-packed with protein, these healthy pancakes are sure to be a popular breakfast treat.
- 1 large, very ripe banana
- 1/4 C smooth almond butter
- 2 large eggs
- Sliced banana and honey to serve
- Using a fork, mash the banana with almond butter until smooth. Whisk in eggs.
- Heat nonstick skillet on medium-low heat and add spoonfuls of the batter. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes until bubbles start forming around the edges and in the centre. Use a spatula to flip and cook for 1 more minute or until the underside is golden brown.
- Serve with sliced banana and honey. Makes 3 medium-sized pancakes.
Recipe adapted from Woman’s Day
Blueberry Pie Oatmeal
What kid doesn’t want pie for breakfast? Using honey and vanilla extract as natural sweeteners, the goodness of blueberry pie can now be a wholesome meal choice.
- 1 C frozen blueberries
- 1 1/2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 Tsp salt
- 1/2 Tsp cornstarch
- 1 C dried oats, cooked
- In a small saucepan, combine blueberries, water, honey, vanilla extract and salt. Stir to combine and then sprinkle cornstarch and mix evenly.
- Bring to a boil then let simmer for 5 minutes until thickened.
- Serve atop oatmeal.
Recipe adapted from apple-of-my-eye
Peanut Butter and Jelly Banana Roll
With a super quick prep time this dish is perfect for days when breakfast might have to be on-the-go!
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- 1 banana, sliced
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp berry jam
- Spread peanut butter over whole wheat tortilla. Place banana slices evenly around tortilla being careful not to put any too close to the edges.
- Spoon jam over top. Roll tight and enjoy on the go.